View Single Post

Old 09-13-2021, 10:56 AM
SWCA Member

Liked 353 Times in 177 Posts
Thumbs up Either Jan 43 or maybe late Dec 42?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavySCPO View Post
Last year I was lucky enough to pick up a very nice Remington Rand from CMP…And while it’s a beautiful piece of WWII History, it didn’t quite scratch that itch.

Well, after getting carried away during a recent auction, my Colt was delivered yesterday. Matching frame and slide S/N, all correct markings, G.H.D. Stamp, Crossed Canons cartouche, ‘G’ stamp on top of the frame, every marking it should have is there, and NO rework stamp! All small parts parkerized and correct as they should be, even the almost perfect Coltwood grips with large rings and reinforcement bars. Also appears to have the original finish, with I’m guessing about 85% (Never good at those estimates) of the finish remaining. Would love to hear your opinion on the finish percentage. In fact the only flaw per Clawson and others I can find is that someone put in a stainless barrel at some point. The hunt is on for a ‘G’ stamped barrel, won’t be original, but will make it correct.

So proud of this beauty, can’t wait to shoot it, probably take it, the Remington and Winchester M1 Carbine for a WWII Day at the Range!

Years ago, I sent away for a Colt letter on mine (a re-numbered Commercial gun), and 863181 was manufactured on 12/9/42 and shipped on 12/18.42, so yours can't be very far behind. It went to the Transportation Officer at Springfield Armory for the Commanding Officer, in a shipment of 1800 guns.

Last edited by RWJ; 09-13-2021 at 09:26 PM.
The Following User Likes This Post: