View Single Post

Old 09-14-2021, 11:22 PM

Liked 6,323 Times in 2,298 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockquarry View Post
You don't need a "book" overall cartridge length. You're already restricted by two factors: magazine length and the loaded cartridge chambering properly and without difficulty. Seat the bullets as far out as possible with these restrictions in mind. This will be a max of 1.170", give or take a little, but could be shorter depending on the design of the bullet and ogive. Your barrel, out of the gun, will tell you.
That's basically what I'm doing I just don't like how short I'm having to go. First, I'm really only limited by the magazine length. Every bullet I've tried (and that's quite a few) in this gun will chamber way over max COAL for the magazine. Like I said in another post the barrel has a significant leade.

When I set these out to 1.16 they won't even feed manually. Imagine trying to shoot full wadcutters in the 9mm, seated way out. Sound nuts but that's not far from what I'm trying to do. The cylindrical portion of the bullet is like extending the case length if it's sticking way out of the case.

So I seated it shorter with the entire front driving band out of the case and the case mouth even with the crimp groove. It feeds most of the time but it hangs at times. I'm thinking the angle of the cartridge going into the chamber is causing the lead edge of the front driving band to catch on the chamber step. If that makes sense. Or it's just flat out too long to make the curve.

If I seat it in more, like halfway down the front driving band I'm at like 1.04". That's short but it "looks right" (?). It'll feed I'm pretty sure. But now there's an awful lot of the bullet in the case. That's a cause for concern for obvious reasons.

It's probably not going to work, but others have done it. Nobody's listed an OAL. It may just not work in this gun. If the few I fired hadn't shot so well I wouldn't bother. I'm going to test fire the 1.04"s in my convertible Blackhawk to look for excess pressure before I try them in the 1911.

Here it is at 1.04"

9 MM Barrel Twist Questions-20210914_220851-jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210914_220851.jpg (26.3 KB, 49 views)