View Single Post

Old 09-15-2021, 01:49 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 780 Times in 169 Posts

The list is interesting as it has a lot of the "grail guns" pursued by collectors. That said some of the guns are collected for very different reasons. The two standards for any addition to a collection are usually condition and rarity. If the condition is too high it usually takes away the ability for the collector to shoot or use it. So in my mind the question becomes am I looking for a shooter or an untouchable? If you are asking if the the shooting quality of the guns you list is a let down after ownership is secured that is completely different question than just the pure joy of ownership of the gun. Often, condition and rarity place a gun out of the realm of being shot, so pride of ownership and the ability to fill a niche in a collection become the primary motivators for the collector. As such, these guns rarely underwhelm.

Regarding shooters, it is entirely subjective as to the experience one has while shooting. What underwhelms me might be pretty exciting for you...and vice versa.

All of that said, I have a couple of RM's...one is a shooter and one isn't. Both give me pleasure, but for different reasons and neither have underwhelmed me. The quality of the build of these revolvers is exceptional. Being a long-time armorer for a LE agency I can assure you that later or current production guns are not in the same class. The attention to detail and the fitting is remarkable. It is like comparing my old Omega Speedmaster to a Seiko Quartz...the Seiko might keep better time, but the hand work and craftsmanship just isn't comparable.

Shooting my "shooter" RM next to a 27-2 shows a significant difference. The 27-2 is a fine gun, but the RM gives much greater pleasure as it "feels" like it is running on ball-bearings...it's that smooth and accurate.

I don't consider RM's necessarily rare...I think the primary attraction is their extreme quality and flagship status. In those areas they are not overhyped.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: