View Single Post

Old 09-16-2021, 12:20 PM

Liked 1,151 Times in 325 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maurice H View Post
40 S&W and 10mm are known for their bulged brass. Badly bulged ('guppy belly') gets tossed, medium bulge for softer/medium reloads, no bulge for any reload. My LE Wilson case gauge is indispensable.

The standard 'busting' procedure is to run them through a pass-through die (e.g. Redding G-Rx) before sizing. Aftermarket bbls are often used to replace OEM Glock bbls to minimize bulging - KKM for me.
I dont know, is it the cartridges that are known for case bulge or is it the guns most commonly associated with them? My guess would be it has more to do with the barrel/ chamber design than the cartridge itself. I have a Dan Wesson Silverback 10mm that does not have this issue because the case head is fully supported by the chamber/breech and believe me I fire some very, very high pressure loads in that gun and have brass with a multitude of firings. I do use the Lee BB and it does work but as a testament to the great work DW has done to the venerable 1911 design many of the cases go through the bulgebuster without much needed force. It could be just my speciman but either way, it's the experience I can testify to.