View Single Post

Old 10-03-2021, 05:05 PM
US Veteran

Liked 14,362 Times in 5,475 Posts

Thanks all for your comments. I received the tap and die for K frame barrels post-1903 with the introduction of the Model 1902, 1st Change. The die was adjustable, so set it to cut the least as I could do. Could run it with my hand and a gripper pad. The tap is a straight die and fixed diameter at .540". Ran in smoothly and done in a couple minutes. I threaded the barrel on the frame and it was much better, but still did not turn in by hand, so set the die tighter and the second time was the charm.

What amazes me is that a near 100 year old gun can accept a random barrel without any further work required. First, the replacement barrel screwed in by hand smooth as glass until it was maybe 1/8 turn from top center. Wrenched it and it stopped exactly where is was supposed to. Measured the gap at .005" - perfect! The barrel aligned perfectly with the lug as well.

The replacement barrel already had a pin slot and I was not sure if it had been installed on a frame or not, but assumed that with the slot it must have been on another gun? I picked out a number drill bit smaller than the hole in the frame to check alignment and the bit dropped right through the hole - another perfect fit up. I am now of the opinion that the manufacture of barrels and frames were so precise that they milled the slot in the barrel prior to installation??