View Single Post

Old 10-10-2021, 04:34 PM

Liked 95 Times in 59 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunblade View Post
I was a weapons instructor in the USAF for 20 years...1983-2003. Some of our M15s were well used, but they were not "filthy" range guns...our training guns were cleaned after every firing. Weapons qualification training in the USAF includes field stripping & cleaning, and they were ALWAYS cleaned by the students after firing and inspected by the instructor before going back into the armory, at least that was the case at every CATM shop I ever worked at. I also never saw any M15s worn out by shooting PGU ball ammo and I never saw a cracked forcing cone on any M15 I ever handled in the USAF. Doesn't mean it never happened, I just don't believe there was a widespread problem with the ammo causing accelerated wear in the guns. JMHO.
Spent 28 years in the USAF; the first 12 and the last seven in positions that required an annual handgun qualification. Gunblade is absolutely correct. Every S&W revolver (M15) I saw/used/carried was in really good shape and cleaned thoroughly after every session. I can't attest to the way the Air Police/Security Police/Security Forces (their names kept changing) kept their weapons, but those reserved for aircrew duty, and those on the CATM range, were in really good shape.