View Single Post

Old 11-07-2021, 01:25 AM

Liked 122 Times in 84 Posts
Default m&p bodyguard 2.0

dear s&w engineers,

foremost i want to express my belief that s&w is the current best gun manufacturer in the world. the only major one that is still all american owned and true patriots(unlike the usurpers and traitors at springfield armory). perpetual innovators, craftsmen, and artists of the highest order making easily the most reliable, consistent, tough and beautiful pistol designs of all time. i was absolutely appalled when the blatantly unsafe self firing melted block of cheese with a handle called sig p320 won the contract instead of the now undeniably proven m&p 2.0 fde with thumb safety(the best looking and shooting handgun in the world).

i appreciate how you never stop innovating and coming out with new versions and improvements all the time. you've invented arguably an entirely new category of guns with the ez 380. ahead of the curve and always keeping the end user in mind unlike glock which has taken its monopoly for granted and made zero real improvements and stopped taking consumer feedback on board since the 90s.

with that out of the way i'd like to suggest a direction you may take with your bodyguard line of pistols. it is arguably the less popular among all of the m&p products because it competes in a field where the options are simply too abundant. but like how you copied the glock and made the sigma(very fitting because s&w is the sigma male of the gun world), improved it in every way and evolved it into the m&p 9 and all its derivatives like shield, compact, 22, ez, etc, which took the police and civilian world by storm, i think you can take the best qualities of the top sub compact/pocket carry and synergize it towards making the bodyguard 2.0, which can become the defacto civilian and police deep concealment pistol.

to do that lets look at the best qualifies of pocket carry among your competitors. i reluctantly cite sig p238. their in-house designs are garbage, but the p238 is based on an old colt design, so it's safe and reliable. what makes it shootable? its metal frame confers more mass to handle recoil, and its grip panel allows custom grips to be installed, the popular hogue wraparound gives the hand a solid purchase. the p238's single action trigger is based on the 1911 and has a ~7 lbs weight. from this data we can surmise that the bodyguard needs only three improvements to become top dog:

one: it needs a steel frame insert much like the m&p 2.0 which adds stability and weight to the firearm improving shooting harmonics and recoil reduction. two: it needs a lighter trigger that is set closer to the hand. why closer to the hand? because three: you are going to make the grip wider for better hand purchase which again will improve shootability. this also allows the bottom of the grip to be wider so we can cut a magwell taper. as for how light of a trigger. we know s&w is the only company that is sensible enough to provide thumb safety options from the factory, at the same time, many may want to forgo the safety alltogether or keep it toggled off at all times. i would suggest an ~8 lbs trigger may be necessary as a compromise especially if you go with a redesigned 1911 style long lever thumb safety.

thank you for reading.