View Single Post

Old 11-16-2021, 10:05 PM

Liked 5,342 Times in 2,685 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggfoot44 View Post

55gr FMJ .223/ 5.56 actually breaks up surprisingly well in interior drywall walls , penetrating less than defensive handgun ( or pistol cal carbine ) rounds . ( Still has that muzzle blast going on , but most of life is a series of tradeoffs .)
I'd like to see the source material for that claim. Also, there are several different specifications for "drywall" that include certified fire barrier material that's thicker than the standard product. There might be a drywall specification that might support that claim, but I'd bet you won't find it most houses. Multiple walls might help somewhat.

A professional acquaintance stated that M193 will pass through a 6 x 6 pine beam without stopping. My personal testing on standard drywall panels on each side of a 2 x 4 frame showed that virtually any .223/5/56 mm projectile passed through apparently intact and with sufficient energy for serious injury/death to result. The only thing I found that reliably stopped in one "wall" was a .177 pellet at about 300 f/s.

The carefully worded penetration stats in LE ammo information are for penetration in simulated tissue.

And, about breakin. I've been through transition training on several weapons systems. While out of the box, the items might have been factory proof and function tested, but that doesn't mean each and every example is good to go with whatever ammunition you may have on hand. There will be machining artifacts that need to wear in. Sights may be off to some degree, extractors may be overly stiff and the triggers will almost certainly function much better after, say, 500 rounds/dryfire cycles.

Added edit: the term "wet" as used above doesn't mean "dunk the BCG in a quart of oil". I will admit no experience with the flour like sand in some areas of the Middle East.

Last edited by WR Moore; 11-17-2021 at 11:28 AM.