View Single Post

Old 11-26-2021, 07:54 AM
SWCA Member

Liked 13,704 Times in 4,025 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerwnuss View Post
A friend has a model 27 he got from a cop friend a few years back. Here's the problem.
The cylinder , trigger and hammer appear to have been chromed, and the barrel has been shortened to about 4.5", and ported. It does look very nicely done, so whoever did it knew what they were doing. Possibly Magnaport themselves? The thing looks well done so calling it a wecsog was unfair, but damn.....who does that to a 27??
In any case, would anyone care to opine on what it might be worth, so I can cipher on a figure to offer him for it? I could probably live with the pinto look just to have a 27 again. Just don't know where to start..
I recently bought a Model 25-2 that was soundly ridiculed by many on this forum with the same logic, if it looks bad externally - it must be bad internally. Sorry, it doesn’t always work out that way. A little work and I have a great carry piece for little cash.

The OP has a big advantage I did not have. He can see, handle and maybe even fire this revolver before he makes an offer.

rogerwnuss, my advice to you would be to ask to go to the range with the owner and shoot it. Take the loads you anticipate using and take it for a test drive. If the action feels gritty, it might indicate parts need to be swapped out, it might mean it needs an action job to smooth it out, or it might need a good cleaning and the mainspring tension screw tighten.

Take it out and shoot it. Then decide, if you want it or not and how much you would be willing to part with to get it.

Best of luck and keep us posted.

Kevin