View Single Post

Old 11-27-2021, 09:27 AM

Liked 16,481 Times in 4,252 Posts

Ok, if it's appropriate here, this is what i was going to post:
-----------

I must be a wimp.

Recoil-sensitive with a .38 Special Model 10? So it seems. Even with moderate loads (4.0 gr. 231 and 158 gr. lead) I find that the bone at the base of my thumb gets whacked. Initially this was with the factory grips and a grip adaptor. (I use a wrap-around, "thumb-over-thumb" grip.) So I tried a Pachmayr Presentation grip. Feels a bit big for my medium hands but certainly has more "rubber real estate" to spread the recoil. Slightly better, but not much.

I noticed that when shooting single-action I got walloped less. Not much difference in how I was gripping the gun except that there may be a tiny change in the position relative to the bone of my thumb as I bring my trigger finger out to use the pad rather than the distal joint. I could try Hogues on it; I find they are the best on my 625-8 with stiffer 250 gr. loads, but they are kinda ugly and I don't really like finger grooves even though they seem to fit me.

But I wonder of there isn't some slight adjustment I need to make in how I grip the gun as a .38 Special shouldn't hurt unless you're shooting +P or +P+ loads, although the Model 10 is a fairly light revolver. I don't recall any discomfort with my 6" Model 14 with the big target grips.

I had my Ruger SP101 out at the range as well, with moderate .357 loads: 12 gr. of 2400 over 158 gr. hard cast lead or Hornady XTP - really a "38-44 load". More blast of course. The XTP were a little less punishing, perhaps because they were going a littie slower. I was using the factory grips, which I find are pretty good. I have tried Hogues on it and it's about the same. Of course a small revolver like that is going to kick in .357.

I haven't done a lot of shooting this year so it may just be a matter of more shooting to toughen up the web of my hand?

This seems to only apply to revolvers. My STI Spartan .45 and Ruger SR45 are fine (5.7 gr. of 231 and a 200 gr. bullet)