View Single Post

Old 11-27-2021, 12:44 PM

Liked 934 Times in 496 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingomann View Post
Why have they always considered the date of manufacture as something which needs to be coded? Just print the date, dang it! I hate digging out my charts every time I want to get a box date, and I am too lazy to memorize all the different manufacturer's codes. Heck, some of them haven't even been totally cracked, such as Federal's.
Most likely because many people seem to think ammo goes bad with age. I still encounter this mindset regularly. Too many people seem to think that any ammo more than a couple years old is like the milk they buy at the store and it will spoil. In reality unless it is exposed to really bad storage conditions or (rarely, mostly seen with wartime production) has production issues most ammo will far outlast the owner if not shot up.

The only other reason that Ive heard of that makes any sense is the old bugaboo of industrial competition.... Don't want competitors figuring out your volume of production and possible sales from just reading the dates on the boxes. Industries can be funny about that sometimes.
The Following 4 Users Like Post: