View Single Post

Old 11-28-2021, 09:28 PM

Liked 14,858 Times in 5,050 Posts

Since the important details have been well covered, here are some generalizations mixed with opinion! The original wood stocks are classy and definitely a part of the package however, if you hold that revolver in your shooting hand and it feels somewhat lacking… well, YES! Many zillions of us find the design of that particular model of stocks (they are termed “Magna stocks or Magnas” to be flat-out uncomfortable at best. Unnatural in my hands. They are correct and proper and should never be lost, but I have dozens of S&W revolvers and I won’t keep Magnas on ANY of them.

There are many options for a better fit in your hands and none of them really look proper, but if you wish to look for options, your 10-5 is a S&W K-frame square butt so that’s the fit you’ll look for.

Another note about price/value. If the numbers tossed out in this thread seem low to you, it’s certainly not because this isn’t a fantastic revolver. Simply, it is the antithesis of rare, and rarity (along with condition) really drive the value. There are certain models that were so darn fantastic that everyone wanted to buy them, so S&W churned them out by the truckload daily. There is literally no finer example of exactly this point in all of S&W history than the Model 10 and it’s variants and lineage. They made, as mentioned above, millions of them. I have two examples that are very much like yours — one from 1917 and the other from 1921, but they aren’t in quite as nice condition-wise as your example. As they are not rare, they likely don’t go for any more than your example does.

And that’s okay!
The Following 2 Users Like Post: