View Single Post

Old 12-02-2021, 08:09 AM
SWCA Member

Liked 13,727 Times in 4,032 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldvette View Post
I plan to acquire a Model 25-5 or newer in the near future. I assume this will have the .451 barrel, and I was wondering which bullet I should work with?

My primary interest is target shooting using "reasonable" loads. I am not interested in comparing the Model 25 experience with my Model 29!

Right now, I cast 230 grain Lee bullets for my 1911 ACP using a 2-cavity mold. I have since started to use the 6 cavity TL Lee molds for my other caliber castings - what a time saver! I would most likely buy the 6-cavity TL452-xxx mold for the bullet I select for the Model 25-X, perhaps to include a new 230 6 hole mold if that's the best bullet.

What kind of advice can I get from this group?

Thanks in advance.

Jack

Jack,

Define “Target shooting”? Are you talking tin cans and paper plates? Or are you talking competitive Bullseye competitions? It makes a huge difference.

Others have commented on the large throats some of the Model 25-5s had. Since you plan to cast your own, that really does not matter. Choose an appropriate mold and size for your throats. (An appropriate mold might not be from Lee as they do not readily cut molds to the diameter you specify.)

If you are a hunter or paper plate shooter, I would suggest a 255-260 grain bullet and the charge of Unique mentioned above. I used the Lee 255 SWC bullet and Unique to harvest quite a few white tailed deer when I was hunting.

If a lighter bullet is preferred, the Lyman 452423, or copy of it, is another good one. My mold drops them at .454 and 235 grains. These work great in my 45 ACP revolvers but I have not tried them in my Model 25-5.

Feeling nostalgic, the 260 grain RNFP is a good one and offered by many mold makers.

I can not comment on the light weight bullets, I have not used them.

Check out the offerings from Accurate, NOE, Mihec and other semi custom makers. They are perfection and not that much more in cost.

Kevin