View Single Post

Old 01-14-2022, 04:37 PM

Liked 5,581 Times in 1,955 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrawHat View Post
While I am not a 45 long Colt aficionado, I do like the Model 25 revolver. I believe the oversized throat condition was cured at the same time the pin in the barrel was discontinued, so you are looking for a non-pinned, non-recessed model.

Having said that, if you handload, .454 diameter bullets from my Model 25-5 are wonderfully accurate.

Kevin
Eons ago bought a Colt SAA in .45 Colt. I like the round so much as the years went by I added a Blackhawk, Redhawk and Vaquero to the collection. My last purchase was a 25-5.

I was a little disappointed with the Smith's accuracy. Then I learned about the over sized throats. I bought a small box of store bought 250 gr. 0.454's and it made the gun a tack driver.

The interesting thing was that those boolits even performed better in my other 4 revolvers as well.

Lastly, I bought a new mold and .454 sizer and that's my standard for ALL my Colts.

If I were to buy another model 25, I think I would actually WANT an early 25-5. There is just something about a pinned barrel, and IMHO the finish on the newer models simply does not compare.

Last edited by GypsmJim; 01-14-2022 at 04:39 PM.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: