View Single Post

Old 01-18-2022, 05:20 PM

Liked 4,189 Times in 1,864 Posts

For me, the jury is still out. Fortunately, I've never been in a gunfight and hope to never be in one. That said, I believe in preparing for the worst and hoping for the best.

Let me address red dot sights on a defensive pistol. I have a Glock 17 with a red dot that I use in GSSF matches. It is taking a lot to get accustomed to. Ninety nine times out of a hundred, I find myself hunting for the dot in the window when I present the pistol at the target. For this, I am old school and would NOT consider it an advantage on a pistol carried for self-defense.

Concerning lasers, I have a more positive outlook. I have 2 Sigs that are wearing lasers: a P320 Xcompact (CMR204) and a P365 (Lima365). I use the P320 as a competition gun at the Adaptive Defensive Shooting Summit, and the laser is very advantageous on the "near total dark" stages. Flashlights are prohibited for these stages, and the green laser helps me acquire the threat targets and benefits my times. I use a Black Rhino holster for this pistol.

When I acquired my P365, I purchased a red laser Lima 365 for it. I have found that when the Lima is installed on the micro grip module, my grip changes as I break the shot, and the pressure on the activation button is removed. For me, the Lima 365 and the micro grip module is a "no go". However, I did acquire an X/XL grip module, and put the Lima 365 on it. I found a winner, because I am now able to keep enough pressure on the activation button through out the trigger squeeze.

For a defensive pistol, I don't need to worry about giving away my position, because the predator is already moving on me. Being disabled, with 2 bum legs and a bum arm, I will take advantage of any unfair advantage I can get. I know that I own every round that I fire, so that is why I like the concept of the laser. My belief is that if the predator is advancing faster than what I anticipated, I can point shoot with a higher degree of confidence that I'll hit my target when I show him/her/it that they chose a victim with teeth. With a properly zeroed laser, I know that if I can paint the target with the laser, I will hit the target.

That said, I have not yet tested my current configuration on the range, but I feel confident that it will work.