View Single Post

Old 01-19-2022, 09:25 AM
US Veteran

Liked 400 Times in 142 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by giants1 View Post
I have long arms and by law the stock is fixed, so it felt cramped. The stock is 5" long.

Is the easiest solution, if I want to keep that stock, to get a recoil pad? If so, can you recommend a brand, model, and vendor?

And how do I determine what the proper length of the pad is?
Before you can pick a brand or type to extend your stock you need to know what Length of Pull (LOP) you need/want.
Here is how to measure that. They do it on a bolt gun, but it’s the same for an AR.

How to Measure Length of Pull - H-S Precision

Quote:
What brand/model of electronic muffs/headphones would you recommend? Vendor?
As far as hearing protection goes, there are plenty of electronic muffs that do the job. You need to know if they are going to get in the way. I use Walker low profile electronic muffs. I like them because I don’t have to get keep taking them off or pulling a muff up to talk to someone. They will even enhance your hearing if you need to. I use them for handguns and AR’s but when shooting bolt guns with scopes and substantial stocks they can still get in the way. Then I use ear plugs.

Quote:
I'm also looking for a budget hard or soft case, just to transport the AR-15 to and from my car's trunk and the range. The gun is 34.5" long and a total of 9" tall, accounting for the bottom of the grip horizontally to the front iron site.
I don’t like soft rifle cases, especially for scoped guns. When traveling they can still get banged around. Any hard case with good foam that will protect your gun and scope is good. I use Plano, they don’t cost a fortune and they do the job. Like most things though, they have good, and they have cheap. I like the pluckable form type that I can fit to the gun.