View Single Post

Old 03-16-2022, 05:53 PM

Liked 110 Times in 15 Posts

As promised, I'd like to add some context to the level of work that was required to bring to life the M5906 ESQ. It all started with a call from Guzzi..."There are a couple of 5906 frames for sale at centerfire Systems for $70 each. They may be a little banged up but, I promise we can restore them. You won't regret it. A steel frame is nothing like you've ever shot" Mind you that Guzzi had been preaching the Gospel of Horace Smith and Daniel Wesson for years while I refused to get out of M9 land, so I said to myself "OK, why not?". So this is pretty much what we got...

I originally wanted a 5906 slide but weeks later I got a deal on a pretty banged 915 slide and parts so I decided to go for that and try a two tone for once. After a first clean and some work on the slide this is what the initial assembly looked like. I was beginning to like where this was going.

Now it was time to think what to do with it. From the start I know I wanted something different. I looked at the newer PC M&P pistols and the old 3rd gens. I looked at 1911s from Nighthawk and Heirloom and I was then sure what I wanted: discreet serrations on the scallop. Guzzi looked at me with hesitation and with the word "blasphemy" at the tip of his tongue". That is not a traditional 3rd gen look. It was only after seeing the PC40/PC35 competition pistol that he somehow agreed with a warning "those are tough serrations to make, much more difficult and precise than regular serrations because you want to ensure that they go at the exact depth and length over the scallop, they can't be too deep and you need to ensure proper distance with the front and angle of the scallop". I laughed, knowing that he was capable of pulling it off and he did, masterfully:

In the next post I'll tell you about red dots and making a custom post for co-witnessing. Hope you enjoy.

Last edited by Ampoyet; 03-16-2022 at 08:08 PM.
The Following 4 Users Like Post: