View Single Post

Old 03-24-2022, 02:37 PM

Liked 220 Times in 84 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03hemi View Post
Not to mention, as if it would have made any difference, but the guy that invented it did so based on "his" attorney's interpolation of the ATF's definition of what makes a gun full auto too before going into full production.
Nothing like slapping the ATF in the face and saying "whatch'a gonna do about it, I'm using your definitions?"
If I understand correctly, there's an ongoing court case on the subject of whether or not FRTs are machine guns, according to the law. There's also a copyright lawsuit between the two companies involved.

I'm not a lawyer, but even I can make a compelling case on both sides of the FRT argument.

On one hand: Because the trigger is forcibly resetting itself, the end user is deciding to continue applying pressure in order to follow through with a new trigger pull, thus it is in fact one shot per trigger pull, and not a machine gun.

On the other hand: If you tie a rubber band to the trigger and draw it tight enough around the grip to cause a trigger pull, the gun will keep firing on its own, thus it is a machine gun, because no conscious decision or action is necessary to fire additional rounds.

So as a result, FRT manufacturers have found a way to make something that simultaneously is and is not a machine gun. Meanwhile, the ATF seems to have lost patience with the court proceedings.

Last edited by CouchPotato; 03-24-2022 at 02:39 PM.
The Following 5 Users Like Post: