View Single Post

Old 04-02-2022, 01:05 PM
US Veteran

Liked 5,703 Times in 1,409 Posts
Default Model 639 early style - some rookie questions

While I still like and enjoy my Browning Hi-Power double stack 9mm, some years back I came into a Smith & Wesson Model 39 and instantly took a shine to it. Even though single stack it was equal to my BHP in handling and accuracy, and you can't beat blue steel (slide at least) and walnut.

Or...so I thought until recently coming into a Model 639. Cosmetically, the stainless frame and slide and magazine(s) are attractive, and it handles almost the same as my Model 39. Trigger seems same under dry fire, haven't had it to the range yet.

Since I could never find a owners manual (original or repro) for my Model 39, and I realize that the 639 is 2nd Generation I thought you experts would know some answers to my questions

I downloaded off the Inet years ago a disassembly instruction for a Model 59 that said it was the same as a Model 39. Is this instruction also valid for 639? I ask because I don't honestly know the difference between 1st and 2nd Gen and I don't want some spring or small part jumping out and getting lost.

I only got the gun and two original stainless 8 round mags. No box or docs so don't know product codes, hence more questions. S/N A 8304XX puts it 1983 per SCSW 4th but this one seems to be "early" style with rounded trigger guard. Can you confirm if these early styles are usually good to go mechanically, or was there problems causing S&W to change quickly to squared off, "saw tooth" trigger guard?

There is a left side "safety" lever, but the right side has a hole in slotted round piece. Is this open because the safety is ambidextrous and can be changed out for lefties? Is there a "cover" (i.e. plastic or stainless) that pushes into the center hole to keep out dirt and crud?

The 639 has the same extractor (short and narrow) as my 39-2 so am I correct in thinking no problems like the wider long ones had in 1st Gen?

The magazines are nice and tight and the one doesn't even appear to have been used at all. Both have "Y" fork black plastic followers, and S & W stamped on the floorplate. Am I correct in thinking they are original to 2nd Gen 639?

I got this from a pawn shop who really doesn't know much about S&W semi's had no box, docs, or info of value. Negotiated price was right for me (close to $600 OTD) for gun and 2 original mags, but I really need to minimum field strip under better lights here at home, and maybe detail strip if warranted before hitting the range. With grips off there are zero signs of any rust, pitting, even grime that comes with age, usually under the grips (walnut originals), so I was pleasantly surprised.

Lastly do any of you have an idea where I might obtain a owners manual and possibly a "cover" (if it has a name and part no. I don't know) for the right side safety lever hole.

I need to fully understand the operation of this "safety" before any loaded range time. With empty mag inserted, rack the slide puts hammer at full cock, pushing down with left thumb on safety lever, releases the hammer and full bang would occur..so there is clearly something I'm not understanding about this device. Please enlighten me if you would be so kind.

Thanks for listening, and thanks for any replies to this "S&W semi rookie"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mod 39-2 left side.jpg (61.0 KB, 108 views)
File Type: jpg Mod 639 a.jpg (59.1 KB, 131 views)
File Type: jpg Mod 39-2 right side.jpg (65.3 KB, 102 views)
File Type: jpg Mod 639 b.jpg (63.4 KB, 142 views)
SWCA#3083, SWHF#570
The Following 6 Users Like Post: