View Single Post

Old 04-22-2022, 06:34 PM

Liked 854 Times in 311 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by giants1 View Post
Thanks, everyone.

Oldsalt66, why do you recommend a low-power optic and 30mm?
I recommend a 1-4x variable for true SHTF use because a 1X optic is the best option for close quarter use such as home defense and such.

4x allows you to reliably reach out to 3-400 yards if necessary.

An optic with a true daylight bright illuminated reticle is also a plus, keeping in mind that the batteries have storage capacities of more than ten years.

Low power optics are brighter, lighter, and considering scopes of similar quality, less expensive than 1-6, 1-8, and even the 1-10x.

Don’t be fooled by cheap Chinese variable power scopes that offer higher magnification, you’ll be able to see much better and shoot more accurately with a 1-4 Steiner Px4i than with a 1-8x Vortex Strike Eagle.

And scopes like Steiner, Meopta, Trijicon, etc. are much more durable internally than inexpensive Chinese optics with greater magnification.

30mm tubes with their 24mm objective lense collect more light than do 1” scopes and they offer more elevation adjustment as well.

That’s my story and I’m sticking to it.

I have a couple of these Steiner P4xi scopes with German Schott Glass from the Carl Zeiss Factory and have found them to be excellent.

If you shop around you can find them for $629.

I prefer the version 1 with the P3TR reticle, rather than the V2 with the diamond style, but others feel the opposite.

Last edited by Oldsalt66; 04-22-2022 at 06:49 PM.
The Following User Likes This Post: