View Single Post

Old 05-13-2022, 10:57 AM

Liked 594 Times in 251 Posts

Well, there is a lot of good info on here.

There are 2 reasons I have been looking into this...
1) 12 and 20 gauge shotshells used to be $0.21 a round near me, very available, sometimes cheaper. Now, the same ammo is $0.36-0.40 a round, and .410 was never cheap, but are creeping up on $1.00 a round. I know I can reload cheaper than that, and can get free shells at my range, and re-use the shells I already have.
2) I think it will be fun to do. Something to keep my hands busy while I watch TV (Although I will probably set my reloading area up in the basement, not my bedroom )

I have not gotten a press yet, but I started sourcing components that I found at local shops. I am waiting to hear back on a Mec 600JR press that I gave a buddy of mine lie 5 years ago- Want to see if he still uses it, and if not if I can get it back Hindsight...

I already had a bag of #6 shot that I bought for weighing down lightweight stocks to make the guns more fun to shoot, so that is already sunk cost. Was $50 when I bought it. I also have a ton of steel bb's I was thinking of experimenting with...

I found a bag of 500 12 gauge wads for $15, and a bag of .410 wads for $15, will need to order 20 gauge most likely...

Found two 1lb containers of Winchester 296 ball powder (recommended for the .410) for $40 per bottle

Got 1000 primers (Nobel Sport) for $75 yesterday. One of my local shops got a pallet of them in yesterday, and I hit it just right on timing. I may pick another pack or two up soon, but for now I am getting started slowly on this.

I was not able to find any powder for 12 gauge or 20 gauge yet, I am waiting on a reloading book I ordered from Ballistic Products, so I will probably wait to get that before I buy any powder anyway (I can only buy locally, no one ships powder to Mass, or at least not any I have found yet).

So I will definitely be starting out with .410 as that is what I have all the reloading materials for. I don't have any empty hulls right now, wish I kept the hulls from the last few range trips with my Governor and the Bond Arms... But, I have been wanting to do some more .410 shooting anyway, so that will be soon

Last edited by GT_80; 05-13-2022 at 10:58 AM.
The Following User Likes This Post: