View Single Post

Old 05-13-2022, 03:18 PM

Liked 65 Times in 42 Posts
Default Die issues and what is your favorite die brand

I have been doing more metallic reloading recently as opposed to shotshell. I am doing 38special, 357mag, and 9mm.

I have two set of 357 Hornady dies, and one set of RCBS dies.

I am seeing minor issues with both versions. So I am asking here which brand of dies you prefer and why.

My first set of Hornady dies I think is OK but I bought an RCBS set just to get experience with a different brand. The outer thread on one of the three dies had a machining defect so that was disappointing. It dinged up the thread in my press a little before I noticed it. The expander die on the RCBS seems to have more of a taper shape while the Hornady type has more of a flair shape. I don't know if it makes a difference or not.

The second set of Hornady dies has two issues on the "seat and crimp" die. There is a rubber washer under the seating rod. That washer seems too soft and squishes out when I snug it down. The washer in the identical, first set doesn't seem to act that way.

The second issue: as I am adjusting the crimp depth, something is catching on the down-stroke. I don't think the first set acts that way. Any ideas about that?

Anyway, I would love to her any replies about which brand of dies you prefer and any comments about the issues I am seeing.