View Single Post

Old 06-10-2022, 11:10 AM

Liked 65 Times in 42 Posts

I have been working with a particular bullet. The Rim Rock 357 158gr LSWCHP g/c. I made some a few weeks ago with my Hornady dies and made some last week with my RCBS dies. There was a bit of a problem with the RCBS dies.

The g/c on the base of the bullet is .360dia. I had to go in pretty far with the expander die to open the mouth enough to get the g/c inside the case. At that point, the case mouth hits the opening at the bottom of the seater/crimp die. It went in with a little force and the finished bullets look OK but I did notice some brass shavings collecting around the shell holder.

I want to try the Lee dies and then Hornady again and pay more attention to how the bullet fits in the seater after being opened enough for the g/c base. I know the Lee Factory crimp die talks about sizing the brass again so I wonder if the case will fit into the crimp die after the seating die.

With the Hornady dies, I recall having to go in further with the expander than with my plain lead bullets but I do not recall the case having trouble going in to the seater/crimper. With the Hornady dies, I sometimes feel that catching on the way down as I mentioned before.