View Single Post

Old 06-12-2022, 12:16 PM

Liked 2,869 Times in 990 Posts
Default Lyman Brass Smith Powder Measure

I’ve had this measure for some time now and thought I’d pass along my thoughts on this very affordable metal constructed measure.

It arrived well coated with oil, so definitely follow pre-use cleaning instructions. For cleaning patches and swabs soaked in 92% rubbing alcohol works for me. After making sure all surfaces are dry again using patch and swabs I follow up with graphite on the inner surfaces. I wipe the exterior metal with a lightly oiled patch, then use a clean patch to remove any excess lube.

This measure can easily be set up for left or right hand use, up or down stroke dispensing. Mine is right hand down stroke. The relatively small hopper which ships with a baffle installed is easily removed for emptying, one thumb screw.

Adjustments are made by loosening a thumb screw and moving your metering rod in or out, resnug the thumb screw, then turn the outer portion for fine tuning. It’s simple and it works.

The unit comes with two tube sizes that screw in via a knurled finger ring. Note, when I first set mine up I had to use pliers to get the first tube properly seated. The threads were there and clean, just too tight. After a couple of times in and out both screw in by hand.

I’ve ran several powders through mine with very repeatable results.

The quality of this measure far exceeds my expectations for anything close to the price. On sale I paid less than $50 for mine (it has been a while back) and consider it to be the equal of measures costing a lot more.

Brass Smith Powder Measure
The Following User Likes This Post: