View Single Post

Old 06-14-2022, 10:21 PM

Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Default Model 52-2 hammer follow

Hello, I am simply a sometimes lurker here and appreciate the experience and information shared.

As per the title, I have a like new Model 52-2 with a problem. It was my father’s until recently when he went into assisted living (91!). I believe the pistol has never been fired. That’s what I was told and I recall the original blue box. It looks like it’s never been fired but it’s possible it has been. Somehow over the years that disappeared along with the tools and bushing wrench.

Anyway the problem is that the hammer will not stay back when dropping the slide (carefully when no cartridge is in the magazine, and at normal slide speed when a dummy round is used - empty case). The hammer drops to half cock (safety hook?). I can thumb the hammer back and it holds against the seat but any pressure on the hammer causes it to slip off the sear and drop to the half cock hooks. Any pressure on the trigger will also cause the hammer to drop even with the magazine out. Note I’m 99% certain the magazine safety is intact.

There is a small amount of first stage take up in the trigger and just a hair’s worth of travel after the sear trips.

[EDIT TO ADD: the trigger is at 30 oz which I think (?) is lower than it should be set at. And also, I gave the pistol a field strip, Kroil “bath”, mineral spirit soak, then purple simple green wash, hot water rinse, and a little Hoppes gun oil. Same problem ]

Im afraid I know the answer - gunsmith and pray - but is there any way to add pressure to the sear spring or improve engagement? I’ve read but not confirmed that Smith & Wesson no longer support / work on the Model 52s. If that’s true, any recommendations for a ‘smith? Im in Texas if that makes a difference but I’ll send it anywhere to someone who is good with this model.

Thanks in advance.
Rod

Last edited by RodJ; 06-14-2022 at 10:29 PM.
The Following User Likes This Post: