View Single Post

Old 06-20-2022, 05:03 AM

Liked 25,740 Times in 8,697 Posts

Given the value of most examples of registered Magnums, I'd personally keep the ammo shot through it to mostly 38 specials in the RNL or FNL configuration. An ocassional Magnum maybe - but surely not a heavy version and I'd load my own RNL cast bullets as well - just keep velocities modest. While the Revolver was built extremely well and strong for its day, I don't know how time has effected the metallurgy. Not being a metallurgist or a revolver designer I don't know how advanced the integrity was and remains now. These are collectible / vintage Revolvers and I couldn't care less about trying to achieve magnum velocities with modern ammo. This is certainly not a gun I'd use for daily shooting.

Anyone lucky enough to own one of these coveted Revolvers would be taking a chance sending stiff magnum loads down the barrel of an 85+ year old revolver. More than likely a small amount would not hurt the 85+ year old Revolver - but why even take the chance? Again, if it were mine, I'd stick to hard cast RNL 38 Spl's. 99.9% of the time and keep the velocities very modest on the rare occasion I shot a magnum load through it.