View Single Post

Old 06-24-2022, 03:48 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 38,092 Times in 4,621 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krogen View Post
40 loaded rounds? Lots of us load 50 at a time. I wonder what happened to the other 10? Did you get any fired cases? If that was Unique, it would sure be interesting to have a look. How about broken revolver pieces? Any of those laying around?

I ran a similar bullet with 14.4 gr of Unique in Quickload. Peak pressure was very close to 79000 psi. More than double SAAMI's MAP spec. Ooof!

Perhaps it wasn't Unique; I certainly hope that's the case. But one can never know what some enterprising ballistician might try.
I used to be an enterprising ballistician, mostly with shotgun trap loads. When I wanted to swap components around ( usually to save money), I used to call Hercules Powder down in Delaware. Those fellas had every imaginable component, and would load up 10 rounds of what you wanted to try, and give you velocity and pressures. I developed some nice loads working with them. Wonder if there is anybody around that would still do that.

As for your 40 rounds, I would tear them down, and reload them with a known powder. Magnum primers is probably a good assumption.

I found 50 44 mag reloads the other day in a box, but they are mine, and while not labeled, I know what they are, because I only used one load, near max using 2400 powder.