View Single Post

Old 06-27-2022, 11:36 AM
US Veteran

Liked 6,888 Times in 2,153 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by delta-419 View Post
I have been reloading 9mm rounds all week and it dawned on me that this in is really a .38 caliber round. I am sure everyone else has had this epiphany, I'm a bit slow. Yesterday, I started to reload for the .38 special with a RNFP cast bullet at 158gr weight with a diameter of .358. Sitting next to the box of .38s was a box of 9mm cast bullets with a diameter of .356 with a weight of 100gr. Is it possible to craft a load so that these 9mm cast bullets will fit the case of the 38spl and fired in a 6" barrel. Is the delta of diameter too big and the weight too light and I assume that would be "blow by". Your thoughts!
I've not loaded cast bullets, but jacketed 9mm measure 0.355" and .38Spl/.357 are 0.357" .355 is loose enough in a .38 case that you can easily push it in with finger pressure. I imagine .356 would be substantially tighter, but crimping would still be very desirable to prevent setback. Does a cast bullet, for those who load them, have enough "give" that you can roll crimp into the lead with no cannelure? A roll crimp would be more secure, although a taper crimp might work.

110 grain is the lightest bullet I have load data for in .38 Spl., but you could probably use the lowest powder weight and back off a couple of tenths to start.
The Following User Likes This Post: