View Single Post

Old 07-02-2022, 12:39 PM
US Veteran

Liked 6,888 Times in 2,153 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alk8944 View Post
Since you measured the primers and primer pockets, and the primers are .002" shorter than the depth of the pockets from your numbers, None of the suggestions above will help you at all! The only answer is that the primers are slightly larger in diameter than others you are used to and they are simply hard to seat. Simply push just a bit harder! They should be .003" or so below the face of the case head when properly seated.
I would tend to agree with this, from my own recent experience with "unknown brand" primers. I bought half a brick of small pistol primers that I think are made in Croatia, can't remember the name, since I've loaded them all and threw away the packaging. So far, they've all gone "pop", and looked well-made when I was priming with them. I hand prime all my ammo, and these were a real exercise in grip strength to get them seated. I was loading already fired as well as new brass, in several cartridge types, but these primers were tight in everything.

To the OP, if you shoot a lot of .45 Auto, keep a supply of large primer as well as small primer brass on hand. Then you have options when you can't find one size or the other. I load both types and really can't tell the difference when you pull the trigger. I keep my ammo lots separate so I don't have to sort the brass later.
The Following User Likes This Post: