View Single Post

Old 07-04-2022, 03:35 PM

Liked 56 Times in 24 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMur View Post

However, when we look at ledgers from the factory that clearly denote "Changed to solid head case"? both Winchester and UMC. 1880-1883 respectively? They must have changed from the earlier folded head case to the improved "solid head case".

If you're looking for "We changed our cases from folded head to solid head"? I don't think you'll find that information written down or it will be very difficult to find.

All You really need to do is find any evidence of a folded head case 44/40 Winchester cartridge. I think an X-ray would be the way to go. You find one, then you've proven a transition.

I personally see the transition from the ledger. "Changed to Solid Head Case".

Murph

Ah yes, the ledgers, I keep forgetting about the ledgers. I can't always trust ledgers, but are certainly a good source of information.

Yeap, gonna take someone cutting open a $10,000 box of cases to find out for sure...lol...ain't gonna happen!!

Sometimes information on those ledgers are a bit late getting updated. Jotting down data and dates can get confusing when actually recording such data (I am guilty), so "catching up" on data can get dates incorrect or slightly off.

I stopped following the UMC box information a while back cause I got information overload then forgot about them. I even have them included in my on-line data, but not in depth.
44-40 Cartridge History - Google Sheets

Maybe we can get some good updates soon.

1. The attached photos is of a large pocket Western headstamped case.
2. Looking down into the case, one can see the large button and deep sides. This view in the photo is not seen correctly without the depth perception. However, the cut out shows details.

3. Of the unheadstamped cases I do have, they also have the large button on the inside, indicating they are not of the folded type. See last photo

Last edited by Bryan Austin; 07-04-2022 at 03:56 PM.
The Following 3 Users Like Post: