View Single Post

Old 07-09-2022, 12:12 AM

Liked 4,560 Times in 1,676 Posts
Default Patents vs Cartridge ID?

Bryan,

The point I was trying to make is that it’s literally impossible to identify cartridges by patent holder prior to head stamping. So many were approved from 1869-1882. Many inventors are listed during that period.

When we apply an open mind here? How exactly can you verify who’s patent was being used and who manufactured the case in question when the head is “NOT MARKED”?

Look at the 5 patent drawings from 1869-1872. These are my random picks from my cartridge patent book. Can you identify the patent holder? They are extremely similar to me. How do we confirm a Milbank primer exactly?

Each one of these photo’d patents are not Milbanks patent. They are other inventors.

Do you see my point?

Now let’s plug in UMC, Winchester, US Cartridge Co, Peters, American, etc etc. I can’t see how you can positively identify any cartridges Pre-1884 except for marked military cases etc. or obvious singular style primers. Even the Bennett primer has look alike designs.

Some of the patent drawings appear to me as exact duplicates of the Milbank patent drawing photo of 1870 That I posted.

These are all folded head cases as well. So how many folded head cases were manufactured before the solid head? An open mind?
Unknown!!

Murph

Last edited by BMur; 07-09-2022 at 12:27 AM.
The Following User Likes This Post: