View Single Post

Old 04-14-2009, 04:18 PM
US Veteran

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

I had just about given up on gun mags in general 'cause I was tired of flipping through page after page of 4 wheeler reviews, Male Enhancement advertisements and plastic gun reviews in order to read half a page on reloading and 2 questions on identification and value of some offbeat gun. So, I let my subscriptions expire.
Then, Guns and Ammo came at me with a 'can't pass it up' deal, I think it's 2 years for $8.00 or some such, Shooting times did the same thing but I think they were $4.95 for 18 issues or some such. So, I renewed the subscriptins.
Dammit, the second G&A I read an article about .32 caliber carry pieces and just went ballistic. I won't repeat the total rant I posted over in another forum but basically I was upset about an article purporting to review the .32 caliber as a carry piece and the author (Doug Larson) wrote about a KelTek P32, A CZ Model 83, a Taurus 731 in .32 Mag and a Ruger SP101 in .32 Federal Mag.
The 6 oz KelTec (which I happen to have two of) was reported to have an 8.5 oz trigger pull, got 5.3" groups at 10 yards and was said to have "noticeable recoil". He raved over the 29 oz steel CZ because it got under 1" groups although it had stacking, a gritty feel and a 14 lb double action trigger.

Okay, any KelTec P32 that I owned that had such a horrible trigger pull would go back to the factory under the lifetime warranty for repair. Both of mine run around 5 oz and, any gun I own that couldn't do better than a 5" group at 10 yards with premium ammuntion will be a gun that I no longer own after the range session. Yet, this doofus acts as if this is normal for these guns, perhaps caused by the "noticeable recoil". HUH?? From a .32ACP????? Oh, and the same doofus doesn't say a word about the much heavier trigger with grit and stacking in the CZ, just raves about the accuracy. But, I thought the article was about carry ??

Why a gun writer would title an article "A Quartet for Carry" and then compare a .32ACP mousegun weighing 6 oz with another .32ACP weighing 29 oz and with a Ruger SP101 in .32 Federal and weighing 29 ozs I have no idea.

If I wanted to carry an all steel gun that weighed over 28 ozs, I could darn sure find a better caliber than the .32ACP (the CZ) or even the .32 Federal (Ruger). As it happens, I find the KelTec P32 to work well as a back up gun and as a "carry anywhere, anytime" pocket gun that slips into a shorts pocket or sports shirt top pocket with ease. Oh, yeah, and I don't have any trouble grouping between 2 and 3 inches at longer ranges than 10 yards.

Dan R