View Single Post

Old 04-04-2009, 10:27 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Bought the gun this morning and could not wait to get to the range so I went tonight here is my review. I field stripped the 1911 before shooting it to do a quick wipe down and lube with Militec. The date on the fired case is 12-13-08 which is interesting because S&W told me in March they were due to ship in April. I wonder why this gun was built when it was? The pistol craftsmanship is superb the metal is flawless with a dull brushed finish very tasteful. I liked the fact that S&W shrunk their name and logo on the side of the slide the other side of the slide has the words Pro Series in cursive. The grips are textured but I don't know how to properly describe the texture it is almost a natural bark texture with the grips being thinner at the top and bottom and a slight swell in the middle the result is when you pick the pistol up the webbing of your hand is firmly pressed against the beavertail and the trigger finger is perfectly aligned with the trigger.
The trigger is very light and no creep it just breaks.
Slide to frame fitting is perfect racking the slide back and forth the gun feels like it is on teflon coated ice no friction, binding or burrs it truly is like nothing I have ever experienced in a gun.
The sights are standard Novaks. There is a full lenth guide rod and barrel bushing that is a tight fit.
I shot 150 rounds through the gun with no malfunctions. The best part is the recoil it reminded me of the 952 which I have only shot once. My initial reaction to the action of the slide was it was going in slow motion. Not the typical 45 1911 where you feel every action as the slide goes out of battery to its return to battery. This is such a gentle push in recoil that I found I had to adjust my shooting hand to relax and not instinctively clench. I could keep my hand grip just tight enough to hold the gun and that is all I needed. By the end of my shooting session all I was focusing on was my trigger finger and the groups were getting smaller. I was shooting at an IPSC target at 25 yards and keeping them in the head which is good for me and I know I will get better with practice.

I will finish this review by making two statements. I have owned a fair number of guns in my time 50+ and shot many more. This is the most perfect gun I have ever used. And secondly if I were forced to own only one gun this would be my choice. I do own a Kimber CDP II and will see what I can get for it versus the price of a 1911 Pro 45 full size and decide if I can make that my next gun.

Proud owner of a 686Pro, 60Pro and a 1911 9mm Pro.