View Single Post

Old 04-11-2009, 08:38 AM
US Veteran

Liked 22,389 Times in 8,268 Posts

There are some magazines I read through in a matter of minutes, because there just isn't anything in it that has my interest. Maybe because of my age (68), I like older guns, preferably pre-war and early post war Smith revolvers. I shoot lots of different things, and do a lot of reloading, but I get a little tired of every writer rehashing the latest version of the 1911 and the AR's latest trick out.

About a year or two ago, the American Rifleman was reformatted and was really improved, with lots of good articles, but I see it slipping back into what it used to be also.

I can read only about half of an American Handgunner anymore, but their photography is the best, they have professional photographers that use great lighting on beautiful guns.

I think that many writers are really excellent, but the subject matters are directed by their Editors as in, "I need two articles on Tactical this or hunting that". So, the writers write what the Editors want. There are so many new products introduced every year that have to be written about, it leaves only a couple articles the writers may "want to" write.

I've met many of these writers as Joe Kent mentioned, and they are really nice guys, and knowledgeable, but we have to remember while they can write anything they want to, but if the Editor doesn't like it, it won't get into print, and they have to eat also.

Look for more New Product writings in the next few months as there is a writers Round Table the first week of May, where a lot of new products will be displayed for the writers see and fondle. I'll be there to help them fondle the new goodies.