View Single Post

Old 04-14-2009, 03:35 AM
Banned

Liked 414 Times in 130 Posts

Quote:
Originally posted by Dude:
I really like reading Mossad Ayoob's articles. He seems to bring a lot of common sense to self-defense topics and reminds people to use their brains. I think the writers do the best they can to recycle the subject matter in an interesting way.

However, I'd love for some editors to be reading these forums and using them to improve their magazines. So, I'll provide my pet peeves:

The worst thing about the gun magazines is that they all review the same new guns at around the same time.

The 1.5th worst thing is that they minimize problems encountered in reviews. If a gun doesn't shoot to point of aim, then it is pretty much a total waste of money and a total pain in the butt for the purchaser. I'm not real gung-ho about shipping a gun back to the factory from my teeming hive of scum and villainy. I've had enough packages "disappear."

The second worst thing is that they seem to recycle articles into special compendium editions on specific topics.

The third worst thing is that they continually review high dollar and customized guns. For me, a high dollar custom gun would probably be a once in a lifetime purchase. Massive coverage of a high dollar gun makes the magazine pretty irrelevant to me.

The fourth worst thing is the near total emphasis on serious tactical stuff. If you aren't on a SWAT team or you aren't hiding under your bed just waiting for someone to kick in your door, the articles get tiresome. There is a lot of fun to be had with firearms.

The fifth worst thing is that they don't cover enough basic skills. Not room clearing. How about gun cleaning? How about restoring grandpa's old gun? How do you get into reloading?

The sixth worst thing is that they don't cover all aspects of the lifestyle. Where to go shoot? What kind of practice is realistic at a typical indoor range with no quick draw and no rapid fire?

The seventh worst thing is that they seem to ignore the sport aspects of shooting outside IDPA. What's it like to shoot smallbore in the Olympics? What kind of guns do they use?

I'd like to see them cover the whole market and classic guns that are still strong sellers. I'd also like them to cover all price points (from Jennings/Bryco to English double shotguns).

Typically, I'll read gun stuff for a few months and then switch subject matter to something else. Too much reading about perps and pistols is a prescription for paranoia.
Dude (no pun intended) you are spot on on all your points!

I also get tired of the flat black, sleek, SWAT, tactical, whatchagonna do when the boogieman comes flavor.