View Single Post

Old 04-11-2009, 09:46 AM

Liked 8,886 Times in 2,566 Posts

Wow. I feel like gun magazines have gotten a lot better in the last five years. And there are several active magazine gunwriters whose work I very much enjoy (Ayoob, Taffin, Cumpston, Prisbrey, just right off the top of my head - tho these gents are by no means the only writers whose work I enjoy). And I feel like I'm seeing interesting articles about things I didn't know (certainly not always the case) in almost every issue (for instance, Garry James' article in this month's G&A about Lefaucheaux pinfire revolvers and modern-day pinfire cartridge reloading - I really enjoyed that).

It seems like one of these threads pops up about three times a year. While I find minor errors in just about every issue I read (as someone who writes professionally, finding nought but perfection would astound me - and I'd note that "the greats" of gunwriting made their share of errors, too) and there are certainly a few writers whom I've come to disregard, I have to say that seeing this sort of thread always dispirits me a bit. I know writers who I can assure you are not "just trying to sell guns" and who truly enjoy the shooting sports and are trying to see that the reader does as well.

I know that these fellas have thick skin and are capable of taking valid criticism, but I can't help but feeling like the negativity has a little more amplitude than would be productive. (And I also suspect that the worst offenders among the writers don't give a rat's behind what anyone thinks - so the only folks who are getting the brunt of this criticism are those who merit it the least, the folks who actively participate on these boards and share their company and writing for free.)

All in all, I think that kvetching about gunwriting in general can get to be sort of like a fat guy in the stands griping about how this year's team sucks and couldn't compare to the glories of the past. Specific criticism (as some here have rendered - no doubt) can be productive if targeted to the right place, but general griping about how the glory days are gone seems bad for the morale of the sport as a whole.