Thread: FBI 1076
View Single Post

Old 03-02-2009, 02:22 PM

Liked 2,223 Times in 619 Posts

Quote:
Originally posted by SG-688:
I attended the S&W pistol armorers course in about 1991. Just from memory, without checking my notes:

The instructor told us that the FBI had required that the point of the trigger that contacts the draw bar be longer in order to reduce take-up. The trigger was the only part different from normal production.

The pistols "locked up" when that longer trigger would over-ride the draw bar - holding the draw bar forward, which in turn held the hammer down so that pistol could not fire and the slide could not be retracted.

While the special trigger was specified for FBI pistols, some went out with regular production pistols, too.
I don't claim to vouch for the validity of what he said. He was, after all, an employee of Smith & Wesson and may well have been a bit biased.

2023 edit: Let's remember the S&W "advisory" on 10 mm pistols with decocking levers - although the notice does not state that the triggers were the part replaced. Afterwards marked with the two dots under the lever.

Also adding the 'staging' notice that applied to all the basic model 39 lock work pistols.

This may be noted later in this thread - but I'm jumping here!

Last edited by SG-688; 11-03-2023 at 12:51 PM.
The Following User Likes This Post: