Thread: FBI 1076
View Single Post

Old 03-07-2009, 07:04 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 6,728 Times in 2,620 Posts

Quote:
Originally posted by 940lvr:

I am not trying to be a jerk here, but is that the same article that "fully described" that the FBI's 1076's functioned differently than other 1076s because of the FBI's training to "prep" the trigger? In your original post you stated that the FBI's 1076's were different because of the "prepping the trigger" thing. It seems that everyone has agreed that all 1076s function the same (with the exception of the magazine disconnect which was not exclusive to the FBI's guns). I would like to read the article if you have some way to retrieve it.
I am glad you clarified that you are not trying to be a jerk, because I might have been confused otherwise.

I do not believe I said the FBI 1076s "functioned differently," but instead indicated that the FBI pistols used somewhat different parts than the standard 1076s.

One author describes it thusly:

"The FBI wanted the triggers with a non-standard release point to work
with the Rule-3-violating "trigger-prep" presentation that was in vogue at
the time. S&W blamed this for the recall."

Whether they did or did not is not the point I was making. I was trying to make the point that for whatever reason, the FBI's method of "prepping the trigger" did not get along well with the trigger/decocker system on the FBI 1076. Apparently, prepping the trigger would occasionally cause the 1076s to lock up so they would not fire. This resulted in at least one recall of the 1076.

If you will do your own research, you will come to the same conclusion that I have. FBI taught "prepping the trigger" at the time of the adoption of the 1076 acording to the article I mentioned.

The manual written by SSA Urey W. Patrick, Firearms Training Unit, FBI Academy, Quantico, Virginia, written and taught at the time of the adoption of the FBI 1076 is located here:

http://www.firearmstactical.co...nstruction_guide.pdf

Please look in Section III, on page 3 under the heading "Trigger Control," at which place you will find the instruction:

""Prep" the trigger by taking up the double action slack, but only to the point resistance is felt."

I will thank you to do your own research from now on instead of asking me to do it for you.