View Single Post

Old 04-11-2009, 09:57 AM

Liked 680 Times in 250 Posts

The truth is the majority of what is written today is to promote the sales of advertised products. How often is anything criticized? I used to take writers to Africa we never asked them to print anything but the truth and that was their condition as well! In fact all we required was that they were guaranteed space in a major magazine. In those days a lot of writers were looking for free hunts and were not able to get articles published.

We worked with some of Peterson Hunting writers, in the mid to late 80's the publications policy changed while we were a long time advertiser in the Where To Go Section they now demanded major ads inserted along side the article. The ads ran with the articles cost around $7,000.00 for one issue which made it cost prohibitive. While I can picture him I cannot think of the name of the Peterson person that created this policy. I know he was not well respected among the staff.

I knew some writers that were very objective and one whom I remain very good friends with who is totally disgusted with what has become of their profession.

Yes there still are some talented writers out there who really love their sport be it hunting, shooting, collecting, etc but they are controlled by the publications and its advertisers!

Len