View Single Post

Old 04-11-2009, 10:31 AM

Liked 630 Times in 357 Posts

Couple of thoughts---

No one in the freelance writing racket is immune from plagarism, sometimes subtle, sometimes overt and blatant --- I regard it as backhanded flattery, and as long as I get paid first, it's only petty theft.

No one has as yet questioned whether the lack of technical accuracy and detail in contemporary gun writing results from the demand rather than supply side. Most writing in popular media, including newspapers, seems to be increasingly dumbed down and devoid of scientific info or accuracy (see any article involving scientific matters --- global warming, anything involving firearms, geography, etc.)Increasing illiteracy, ignorance of science, etc., may cause consumers to shy away from technical discussions that leave them baffled. Magazines are, after all, entertainment first, technical treatises second.

Many of us here are experienced, knowledgeable "gun nuts", but not a day passes without a query from a newbie that seems laughably obvious to many of us --- (always answered helpfully and politely, I'll add) --- these are the readers the "pop" gun mags are aimed toward. If you expect much more, expect to be disappointed.