View Single Post

Old 05-06-2009, 01:27 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally posted by smith crazy:
Quote:
9.0 will be my starting point
Mack,
I know you have been a big opponent of the Speer #8 and it's heavy 38spl loads. Then you post loads that are considerably higher than what Hodgdon posts on their website for near this weight bullet. Can you clarify please?

Their maximum load for a 158gr LSWC is 6.5gr of SR4756 for 1214fps. I agree with the data you have posted, don't get me wrong. It just seems to be closer to the Speer #8 than the Hodgdon data. Please explain.
Skip,

I originally neglected to indicate that the loads in question were put up in .357 brass. That has been corrected. Sorry for the confusion.

BTW, did anyone notice the link that was posted here abouts a week or so back to the article by Alan Jones that appeared in the May issue of Shooting Times? In it Jones stated that the first Speer manual to have pressure tested data generated by a piezoelectric transducer was the #12 manual. It was a pretty hot topic here within the last six months or so that because Bill Caldwell had a piezoelecrtic transducer rig around 1970 that the data for the #8 manual had to have been (or alternatively, most likely had been) pressure tested. Jones stated that when they started on the #12 they used the crusher data from previous manuals as their starting point. This should clear up some of the confusion and add a little on its own. When you figure that the #12 had a publication date of 1994 and the first edition of the #8 had a publication date of 1970, that was a long time for Speer to get on the bandwagon. It opens the door to the question of when they got everything on to the crusher-based system.

In 1996, I spoke with Hodgdon and Nosler about two different issues. At Hodgdon's I spoke with Tom Shepard (sp?) who was the VP of Marketing. He told me that at that time Sierra had just gotten all the cartridges up and running on their pressure gun. And at Nosler one of their enginers told me that they were still using the tea leaves & snake oil approach (primer appearance and case head expansion) that the home reloader would use to develop loads for the less popular cartridges like the 6.5 x 55 Swede.

For what it is worth, gentlemen.