Thread: FBI 1076
View Single Post

Old 03-10-2009, 07:17 AM

Glocks have a very strong foot hold on the police market but the Smith M&Ps(a Glock by any other name; so to speak) are making some headway. Some Departments are going with the Sigs because of the external hammer. This make for an interesting "issue' because the Sig Double Action Trigger Pull tends to be much heavier and a good bit longer than the Glock. The 'longer & heavier' DA pull is supposed to be better from a "legal"(read Lawyer input) stand point. Fewer accidents - according to the Lawyers. What is being found during training is that many Officers are simply Cocking the Hammer during the draw and shooting Single Action from the first shot! So much for the Lawyers' ideas!!!

I've tried the palm swell grips but my hands aren't that big. I find the G-23 and G-27(with the finger extension) to be just fine for me. If you've got big hands I'd suggest going to the larger Model 23 or even the 22. I carry a pair of G-27s but I have added the hooked type floor plate to all of my magazines.

The Full sized and all steel S&Ws are fine guns but they are a bit too heavy for many LEOs these days especially when you consider all the other 'stuff' that has become part of the "Duty Gun Belt" package.

The 10mm is also a fine cartridge but tends to be a bit hard to handle for many Officers. After the FBI went to the Model 1076 they found that many Agents had trouble getting a 'Double Tap' that kept both rounds on the target - even at fairly close Range. They went to the ammo companies and asked for a 'reduced' loading that would help with this control issue. That FBI loading shortly became the .40 S&W.