View Single Post

Old 04-11-2009, 11:57 AM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

OK, gents, back off a few feet and think about this and the rehashing of stuff so many of us know:

How many "newbies" and "not-so-newbies" ask the same questions over and over again on this forum,
the SASS Wire, Colt, Ruger, etc.?

I think a lot of us think the likes of Skeeter were better because we were learning back then.
I have a collection of his writings and a lot of it is pretty basic and similar to what is printed
today.

What's hurt magazines and writers to some extent is the vast amount of knowledge one can tap into
on such forums as this one. Here, you might learn
just one little fact about a S&W you didn't know as you read through many repetitive queries and answers. And learning that one fact makes it all worthwhile.

I don't read the magazines much, or at all, but occasionally I do look at one and sometimes I learn a fact I never knew before. As for coverage
on new and old guns, really how much has changed in firearms, basically changed, since Sam Colt's day? For instance, the concept of automatic weapons dates back to before the Civil War but early experiments failed because the black powder fouled everything so badly. Once the smokeless stuff was developed, autoloaders followed pretty quickly. Heck, John Moses Browning even turned a
Winchester '73 into an auto once he had the powder--albiet a strange looking auto.

Danski