View Single Post

Old 05-08-2009, 08:41 PM

Liked 351 Times in 243 Posts

Bart, Ohio used to do much of their re-qual at 25 yards, or more. After the Miami shootout they took the attitude of "most shootings occure at 5yds or less, so shooting at 25 doesn't make sense". The max distance was six rounds at 54 ft. and everthing else was 30ft or less. Since requalification is more competency than gunfight training I think the 25 yards at least taught the officers how to properly hold the firearm and get used to how it should feel. I was my departments reqaulification officer and also did a few smaller area departments that didn't have their own range. I noticed a lot of the guys had problems at the 54 ft mark and decided to have a few of them warm up by shooting 50 rounds at the 25 yard line, just for some extra practice. One guy from another dept. never even touched the paper, and he was supposed to be SWAT qualified. Just as I was retiring the state changed the standard course so it looks more like an IDPA match. I hit the roof! What they are making the officers do now should never be taught to anyone that might get into a real gunfight.

But as I said, it amazes me how indifferent the average officer was to firearms training. Our dept. provided unlimited ammunition and targets for anyone that wanted to practice on their own. There never was one taker in the whole eleven years I was there. A surprising number of them had a very hard time requalifying and usually took two to three times to pass. I constantly told them that I would be more than happy to work with any of them to help them, or if anyone wanted to work on more "tactical" training just let me know. Never a taker. It was always the same thing. They show up, shoot until they pass and then leave.

I never really considered reloading a revolver one handed as a complex action, I guess I've just been doing it so long it's second nature.