View Single Post

Old 06-03-2009, 05:59 AM

Liked 3,766 Times in 1,540 Posts

I second the opinions of MWTDVM and Barb my back yard butts up to about 50,000 acres of swamp we find snakes in the yard all the time and once in a while in the house. I have never seen a poisonous one in the yard or house yet.
lots of people around here think any dark snake is a Cottonmouth, usually they wind up being harmless mud snakes.
Snakes can be beneficial keeping rats and mice away. I have lived next to sugar cane fields for many years, Guess What, when the sugar cane is harvested and the fields burned all the mice living there will be looking for a nice place to live (like your house). Maybe a few king or rat snakes, both are non poisonous, hanging around will keep them away.
The Louisiana Wildlife and Fisheries have some good posters and information on ID'ing local snakes. By learning which is which you can keep the good ones around and get rid of the bad ones, if any.
Having said all that I have heard that mothballs help keep them away, my wife is scared of snakes she put mothballs in the flower beds. I have also seen snake repellent sold at Lowes
Good luck!
Steve