View Single Post

Old 05-19-2009, 10:34 PM

Liked 351 Times in 243 Posts

Quote:
Jelly, coud you describe your one-handed revo reload for us novices
Onomea, it's important to find what works best for you through trial and error, but I'll give you my technique. I was a uniformed officer too by the way and wore a duty belt.

If shooting left handed, my strong side, I would push the thumbpiece (S&W) with my left trigger finger, which does require a grip reposition. Then push the cylinder out with my left thumb or smack the revolver against my belt or stomach, which was a lot firmer back then, to open it. I then stuck my trigger finger between the cylinder and frame and pushed the ejector rod down on my handcuff pouch, which was worn behind my holster. This requires the hand to twist quite a bit to get the ejector rod on the inside toward the body and using something further back helps with this. I would then bring the weapon back to make sure all the empties had fallen away and then pushed the barrel down behind my belt with the ejector rod on the outside to keep it from closing. Then I'd reload, pull the weapon out from the belt and push the cylinder closed with the trigger finger.

For my right hand, weak side, I would push the thumbpiece with my right thumb while pushing the cylinder out with my right trigger finger. Then I would put my right thumb between the cylinder and frame and push the ejector rod against my radio, which was worn on the right hand side of my belt, to eject the empties. I would visually inspect it to make sure the empties had all fallen away, then shove the barrel down my belt again. This time the top of the barrel would be toward the body, I used a model 65 or 13 most of the time and the low front sights were beneficial, and the ejector rod was again in front of the belt. After reloading I would draw the weapon from the belt, closing the cylinder with my right thumb.

Quote:
...and also explain why being able to shoot like Jerry Miculek is not good for a gunfight?
Shooting at extreme speed is impressive to look at but it makes it real hard to keep track of how much ammo you've shot. And it is a good way to waste it too. I could easily shoot a guy six times before he fell dead from the first shot. I have nothing against fast shooting, and practiced it regularly, but there is such a thing as too fast for a gunfight.

P.S. I don't believe that "novices" business one bit.