View Single Post

Old 05-16-2009, 09:46 PM

Liked 52 Times in 31 Posts

I'm not sure where all the statistics are coming from, but I'm going to throw in a couple pennies worth. I never trust the latest Gov. reports on balistics and stopping power. What I do trust is the several wars this country has been involved in. This brings to mind the Spanish American war in which the .38 cal. military issued side arms where absolutly worthless. Granted it was the .38 colt. Many soldiers stated they would have been better off throwing rocks at the enemy. Thus enter the .45 cal. Colt model 1911. Again involved in two world wars and many other campaigns in which EVERY report from actual soldiers killing the enemy had at least a 90% or better "one shot stop" and in many cases death. I enjoy reading and this is one topic that is found in many of our wars history books and records. Just what can a fresh collage grad. working in a lab for the FBI or some other Gov. building tell me or anybody else about stopping power or killing power that history hasn't already. My thinking is the old .45ACP or even the 45 LC is a tried and true man stopper. I know this is why I own several and enjoy shooting them. When and if I need to defend myself or my family, I know I will be very well armed. Truth is the bigger the hole the better. And it does not take a supersonic bullet to acomplish this. I do agree that shooting through cars and other various objects may be a different story. I appoligize for the very short history lesson, but we all can learn from our history. Our military went to the nato 9mm simply on account that there is more females in the militay (amongst other reasons) and recoil was an issue. It is a fact that the military now teaches "three shot stops" and not the older "one shot stop". In my opinon thats why the smaller cal. guns need the additional magazine capacity, need more shots to do the job. I will never give up my .45's as our countries history states loud and clear this round is one hell of a manstopper. Just my two cents.
The Following 3 Users Like Post: