View Single Post

Old 05-08-2009, 07:41 PM

Liked 15 Times in 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally posted by Jellybean:
Loading and shooting a revolver one handed was taught long before 1986. (and it isn't that much different than loading an auto one handed either) I guess it must have been abandoned again by then. The suggestion that the outcome would have been different if the agents had semi autos is just as bad as if they had more powerful handguns. However those were two of the first things the gun "experts" jumped on after the shootout. The only new thing I can think of that came out of the FBI shootout was 'you have to have a high capacity semi auto'.

Firearms trainging changed a lot after 1986, but the result seemed to be officers shot worse during requalification than they did before. Within a few years of the shootout it was hard to tell by officers habits that it ever happened at all.

But what gets me the most is watching officers shoot for requalification. Don't they realize their life depends on their ability to use their weapons?
Oh, those agents were taught one-handed reloading their revolvers as well, but it simply is a more complex action compared with an auto. I can teach someone to one handed reload an auto reasonbly well in about two minutes and be able to expect they could do it under moderate stress. The same simply isn't true with a revolver.

It's certainly doable, but at least for one agent parts of his hand in the cylinder made it almost impossible which wouldn't have been the case with an auto. Autos have their own flaws, but reloading, in general, isn't one of them.

I know our qualifications changed and have kept some of the core elements learned from that incident....we start at 25yds and shoot 18 of our 50 rounds from there. If you can't hit from 25 you can't pass the course.

As an instructor I don't put too much emphasis on qual courses...they're a pop quiz where the questions are known in advance. I try to work with our folks to make them better shooters....really do training, not just qualifying. R,