View Single Post

Old 05-08-2009, 10:12 PM

Liked 15 Times in 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally posted by Jellybean:
Bart, it's funny our training actually seemed to go in reverse. We did shoot at 50 yards at one time but many departments across the state complained they didn't have enough room for a 50+ ft. range.

I still disagree on the revolver vs auto thing, to a point. But like I said, I've done a lot of revolver shooting. In fact after carrying an auto for a year or so I went back to the revolvers.
Yeah, it's a bummer that we dropped 50yds a long time ago as well. Heck, just last Sunday I shot my M41 and M&P Pro out to 100yds and was getting plenty of hits on a steel target that was maybe 8x18".

For you, as a very experienced and practiced wheelgunner I wouldn't suggest you'd have any problem doing a one-handed reload on a revolver....no doubt in my mind. It certainly sounds like you've practiced those sorts of drills enough that they're virtually automatic....which is what's required. For the average cop who shoots his gun X times per year (not many) and won't practice that sort of stuff unless it's forced (like on range days) I would be very surprised if many could manage a one-handed reload under stress very well. If they survived long enough they'd probably manage it eventually, but I'd bet it would take them a while. On the flip side I'd be willing to bet that most would manage the one-handed reload, while not perfectly, probably quite a bit faster.

Trained to the same skill level the difference would simply be a matter of how good the respective shooters were and probably wouldn't change the outcome of a fight much. I just think it takes less pratice to get to the same level with an auto. Yeah, that's sorta training to the lowest common denominator, but what we're often forced to face as a reality :-(

Just last week we had our quarterly qualifications and one guy who is a fellow firearms instructor and former SWAT guy shot the course the first two times backwards. He's a righty, but shot lefty both times (he has a lefty holster for this). Now THAT is the kind of guy I want to work with and the bad guys had better avoid! I've shot it lefty before but hadn't got around to getting a lefty holster....I'm going to fix that shortly since it's a great idea. R,