View Single Post

Old 05-11-2009, 12:03 AM
Banned

Liked 1,569 Times in 421 Posts

Charlie;

Thanks! You've confirmed my suspicion. I long ago acquired a WWII era OD belt, with Victory flap holster (unmarked as usual) but it had two Carlisle pouches. One of them was positioned exactly where the 1911 .45 Magazine Carrier would have been carried (by the belt snap) and had a fair amount of verdigris inside, which led me to conclude it had brass ammo carried/stored in it for a long while. I asked the original owner about it but all he could tell me was that it had been brought home by a relative after the war ended. This fellow claimed the relative, his "Uncle", was a Lt. Colonel who served on Eisenhower's staff. I also bought a Heiser made holster and gunbelt (non G.I.) for the 1917 from the same estate.

Thanks again Charlie, your reply was very helpful.

Edited to add;

This is a photo of a GI leather pouch that was worn on the Sam Browne type belt with belt hanger/adapter and shoulder strap by Army M.P.'s carrying 1911A1 .45 autos, along with the leather double mag carrier and handcuff case. Post WWII. I can't remember if it was a first aid pouch or spare ammo pouch. It is dated 1947. Anyone care to comment?